Friday, August 3, 2012

On the road again

Goal Setting

So while on holidays in the Algarve, I set a new goal well it's really an old one, get a Boston Marathon Qualifying Time. For my age group that has now become 3:24:59 a good 20 minutes inside my best. To  get anywhere near this a few things will have to fall into place.

  1. Get back running 40 to 50 mpw injury free
  2. Loss about 14lbs (current weight 176lbs)
  3. Get my 5K and 10K times to (20:30 and 43:30)
  4. Get my LT threshold to between 170-175 bpm

If I get 1 and 2 sorted by the end of the year I will be very happy and the rest should start to fall into place in the early part of 2013.

Plan of Action

Having had a lot of time recently to ponder, just because there are seven days in a week does not mean that the training cycle is seven days long. I read some interesting articles on this very topic in the sunshine of Portugal, I have come to the conclusion when one considers age and recent spate of injuries, my body just cant handle three quality session in a seven day period. Plan going forward will be three quality sessions over a ten day cycle.
Format will be something like this Long-Recovery-XT-Tempo-Recovery-XT-Interval-Recovery-XT-Rest. Each phase will have three such cycles and then a week down of easy runs and physio if required. Mileage will begin at approx 25 mpw and go to 35mpw, with gradual increase in training paces until they reach my current PB levels. If at any point I feel a niggle a recovery week will be dropped in with physio or whatever is required to clear the symptoms.

And were off

So I set about the desired training plan in the last week in June on my return from Portugal. Aiming for a bash at a sub 45Min 10K in September/October. All went well for the first 3 cycles (30 days). Have got my paces up to PB level for 5/10K and my aerobic levels are very similar to that of last year. Weight has probably helped here as I dropped 4lbs (172lbs) since starting training, which is now at its lowest since Athens in Nov 2010.
The last week in July was step back week and with some tightness in my hamstrings and glutes, I went for my first session with physio expecting a quick rub and to be on my way again (more to follow on this). Short version I needed more work then I thought which means no hard sessions for 10 days. As a result I will miss a planned 10K in race Kilmihil  this Saturday where I was hoping to race 5K between the 3K mark and the 8K mark to get an idea my 5K race pace. There is a 5K/10K Kilmurry on next Friday week but I am working on the same evening so it may be tight on time. I will decide on that later next week. I am down to pace the two hour band for the Dingle Half Marathon in a months time so Phase 2 will concentrate more on Tempo and Longer runs and upping of the mileage to 30 mpw while staying free from injury. All going well I am looking forward to been at the start line for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment