Monday, August 13, 2012

Kind of Blue

Kilmurry 10K

As I had missed a planned 5K time trial last week, I decided on Thursday evening after a quick chat with Leon that I would give this a bash. Plan was 5K between the three and eight kilometer marks. Got there about 6 and registration was quiet picked up my number and bumped into the fast postman who was registering ahead of me. He had won Saturday in Kilmihil (repeated the feat here as well) but said he was given a good race by Jake o Regan. Meet with some familiar faces from B.M.O.H who where on pacing duties for the day. Made my way to the start and set of with Paul Conway in the 55 Minute group. At 3K mark said my goodbyes and set off. Plan was to run between 6:45 and 7:00 min miles (as the elevation profile suggested downhill) for the first 2K and just try and hold on after that. Yes their was downhills but there where uphills as well which I was not expecting. Through the first K in 4:15 and feeling every bit of it but  was 9:00 through 2K when the alarm bells went off. I had ran 2 mile intervals 10 days previous in similar conditions at a faster pace. Hit 3K and my average pace was just under 8 min miles. Could see the 50 min balloon ahead but just could not get to them. The last 2K I just want to forget, struggled and at the 7K mark threw in the towel and stopped to walk, just wasnt intreasted in pushing it anymore. After 200m of feeling sorry for myself some guy passed me so I picked up with him and we ran to the finish. We managed to pick up the pace for the finish but I didnt push it too hard as I didnt want to tweak the hamstring when nothing was on the line so I pulled back a small bit towards the end.
 I had stopped the watch at 8K for my 5K time and didn't even bother to look at it until afterwards. Disgusted when I saw 25:18 and the HR readings where well below what I have done for previous 5/10K races. It was a case of me wimping out when the going got tough.  
The usual spread of Sandwiches and cake and all sorts afterwards helped to console my bruised ego. Overall its a well orgainised race on a tough  but run-able course. Its a pity the numbers were small but I will return again next year and try to redeem myself.

Normal Service Resumed

After Friday nights no show I ran a 4 mile tempo run @ 8 min mile pace on a hilly loop with 1 mile warm up and warm down this evening. Felt good and strong throughout. Kept pace up the hills and recovered on the downhill sections. If the planned 2 mile and 1 mile intervals on Thursday and a paced 10 mile run on Sunday go as well I will be very happy indeed, and will confine Friday Night to a one off event that I don't want to repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment