Saturday, August 4, 2012

Needles and Pins

Here we go again

Last year I was plagued by a tight hamstring/glutes on my right side. Go to my PT good rub okay for 4-6 weeks rinse and repeat, until it advanced to a point that I needed injections in the hip. So once I got a little twinge in the same area of the Hamstring after a recent 10K paced mile intervals I decided it was time for a physio to have a look at me on my next step back week. Deciding on what physio to use can be a nightmare but I eventually plumbed for Leon of physiozone, if he can keep Keith White on the road then he must be doing something right.

First Visit

After standing on one leg and doing various squats and giving my history it was time for the exam on the couch. "Have you ever had the needles", never had it done so no was my answer No. Anyway fifteen minutes on my hamstring and another fifteen on glute, I now had a new pain experience. For those who never had it done the needles don't hurt much but when the muscle goes into spasm you'll know about. In saying that it does what it says on the tin, after two days of rest and stretching I had close to full range of motion on both muscles.

Second Visit

Had a follow visit to get adductor/hip flexors loosed out. Now I have gone through pain in marathons and the needle session three days before but the work required to relax this area nearly had me in tears. Manned up and got through but afterwards I was really sore. Upshot of all this is that my right glutes are not triggering correctly, combine this with tight hip flexors my hammer is doing all the work. Corrective exercises have been prescribed and keep running to light workouts with follow up next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment