Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Becoming a runner Part II

Write off 2011

After a very enjoyable experience in Athens I and her good self returned to Ireland in great spirits. I was already planning my assault on Boston for 2012 which herself thought would be great as some old school friends of hers live there.
Well so much for planning, Life (I really should know this by now) has a nasty habit letting you know it’s not easy just when you think it could not get better. We had both forgot about the routine mama-gram herself had done before we went to Athens, well on a Thursday in November life decided to throw us a curve ball and herself now had breast cancer. Surgeon is not one to mince her words and outlined that the next step was a full mastectomy. Neither of us knowing what end of us was up at this stage where brought into a quiet room where an very nice nurse basically told us whatever you have planned for 2011 write it off. With hindsight I really should have listened to this advice.

Doing to much

So I upped my mileage in an effort to get my marathon time down to the required Boston Qualifier Time. For the first 4 months everything was going as well as expected but the added stress in my personal life with the increase in mileage was going to catch up with me. From May on after setting personal bests for 10K and 10 Miles the niggles (overuse injuries) started to happen. Glutes, back and hamstrings all at different times left me missing training days. So much so that I missed both of my planned attempts at sub 3:30 in Portuma and Longford. In between I ran day 2 of the 5 in 5 in Sixmilebridge as a training/test run to see where I was at. Set a PB but the plan of 20 miles @ 3:30 pace did not materialise. It was after this that I knew I was not in 3:30 shape and was not going to get there under the current circumstances. I concentrated in keeping my long slow runs in the legs with no fast stuff. Paced 5 hour in Dublin great day felt great. Ran 3rd Marathon of the year, mile loops of the bridge. Took the rest of the year off and at the turn of the year felt good again.

Happy New Year

Well was I glad to see the back of 2011. Looking forward herself was finished treatment had got the all clear and on the mend. So was I or so it appeared. After 2 weeks into the New Year and on very little mileage (15 miles a week) I could barely drive with the pain in the butt/lower back, so I bite the bullet and decided go see the doc first. Full blood work revealed Vitamin D was on the floor. Refereed for on lumbar spine MRI came back clear but some signs early wear and tear. She referred me to Rheumatologist just to rule out any arthritic issues. Thought that this would be a wasted trip but turned out to be quiet the reverse, he identified I had swollen Bursitis in the hip, which duly got a steroid injection. Had another MRI done on my SI joints and hips which came back all clear as well. Returned 2 weeks later for review Bursitis still tender so another injection and 3 weeks more off running.

Glad to be back running

This brought me to mid march. I was down to pace Limerick half marathon as part of the 2 hour pace band and with little or no running done since previous November it did not look likely. Decided if I could not run a pain free sub 50 in the Packie Ryan Memorial 10K a week later, there was no way I could pace a 2 hour Half Marathon in Limerick 6 weeks after that. Ran it comfortably in 48:30 and completely free of pain so Limerick in May was my next goal. Upped the mileage to about 25 miles per week, no side effects paced Limerick half marathon and 55 minute band for the Bridge Milers 10K 2 weeks later.

Acute Injuries heal quicker

Words of my physio after I stupidly twisted my knee acting the goose with my nieces. X-Rays showed only damage inflicted was on my ego and another 4-6 weeks off running. Not too bad as 2 of those where going to be on the long awaited trip to Portugal. Also the rest would do my tight Hamstrings and Glutes no harm at all.






No comments:

Post a Comment