Thursday, December 31, 2015

This olde house

This olde house enters its 50th year next August and some items are beginning to show signs of wear. Got me my brand new OnePlusTwo phone. A long awaited Birthday treat to myself. It can do everything a smartphone can do. Only issue is it has highlighted my eyesight is not what it used to be. So off to the Specsavers for a pair of yokes that will hopefully allow me to read the screen properly.

One thing after another

Doc finally cleared my proctitis, but as a result my joint bursa are getting inflamed. At the moment both elbows and particular my right knee which of course is causing a pull on my IT. The solution is good old Diefene. This however aggravates the proctitis so at the moment I am awaiting MRI’s and a colonoscopy and on a very reduce mileage. Basically run when I am able and all easy nothing hard. The week before Christmas I stupidly (several units of Alcohol involved) went over badly on My ankle so another missed week of running. Leading up to Christmas my biggest week was 27 miles and two single figure weeks. This has also given rise to a probably rise in my weight. I haven't stood on the scales since before Frankfurt when I was pretty much close to 11st 4lbs my race weight. I have no intention of doing so until the New Year, I have no doubt that the result may not be nice but for now I will enjoy the Festive period and worry about such things in 2016.

Slowest one to Date

portumna_2015
Courtesy of Mary Mockett
When all of the above was taken into consideration being at the start in Portumna for the final MCI race of the year was an achievement in itself. I knew I was not in good shape and was nursing the ankle, knee and extra little belly that had appeared out of nowhere. Arrived to be told there was a change in the course which was now going to be longer to ensure correct distance as part of it would be on trails. More like XC conditions so of we set 16 laps of 1.6 Miles, Ray mentioned Km’s but i cant compute those things. Started of with Cezary and Dari at around a 9 minute clip. Even after 2 loops I was starting to feel the pace so I was glad when my bowel rumbled and I said my goodbyes as I headed for the toilets. In contrast to last year where I was the bear in the woods several times, this year I made the White Throne and only had to stop once. Continued on after this comfortably between 9 and 9:30 pace. Meet and ran with loads which always make the miles easier. Even got a hug from Aaron of team Kerr, had to hug all of the team before been released to continue on my way. Eventually got over the line in 4:21:15, nothing spectacular but I loved every minute of it. With over 100 runners on the day all credit must go to Ray, Vincent and Brian with his crew of helpers in the mobile kitchen. Its a pleasure to get a warm drink and a sandwich into you after a marathon.

2015 a year in numbers

So to wrap up the year 2,486.4 miles (4001.4K) ran, 13 Marathons completed, 5 PB’s ran  19:45 (5K) 25:47 (4 Mile) 41:11 (10K) & 3:18:12 (Marathon). I am extremely happy with this even if the last 4 months have been a write off. Next year I hope to complete my 50th Marathon before my 50th Birthday on 4th August

No comments:

Post a Comment