Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Twenty Cents

All things considered running Galway Bay Marathon was always going to carry a big risk of flaring my recent knee issue. What the issue was I still don't know but the prescribed Define did the trick however it did aggravate my bowel. I was still mindful of this not getting done but as the course is six loops, two short one miles and four of 6 miles, the furthest I would be from the finish was 3 miles if anything went pear shape. Plan was first loop easy with 3 * 4 mile at Marathon Effort of 1 Mile recovery. Set this up on the watch as I was trying to line up the recovery mile with the start finish area to avail of the Porto potty and half way up the Prom is a public toilet. On the first loop I discovered I would need a 20c coin to enter but luckily the MCI support crew in Vincent was able to provide me with one. Race went to plan and pretty much as expected. Marathon effort was 7:40 pace which is way off where I would like it to be. Also 4 potty stops as expected added 6 minutes to my time on the day 3:51:26. With this in mind I still don't have a target set for Frankfurt yet. Unless the bowel calms down its unlikely that I will get anywhere near a crack at 3:15 regardless of whether my fitness level improves.

The Final Week

Last week was the final week to try and get any sort of sessions in. Planned midweek 10 Mile with 2 * 3 mile off 1 mile recovery went well and I finally hit the 2000 mark during that run.
Saturday was a rest day and a long awaited trip to Amphibian King in Oranmore to get deck out in a new pair of running shoes. Nice flashy pair of Munzio Inspires which on first impressions are very comfortable. May even be the shoe for Frankfurt but again decision to be made next week on this.
Sunday was the last session before the taper, 14 mile with 2 * 4 mile Marathon Efforts of 1 mile recovery. Very hard as it followed the celebration of my Daughter Lorraine's 18th Birthday. Shots and marathon training are definitely not compatible. I got through this in 7:35 pace so at least the fitness is coming back and even the new scud missiles from the doctor are having a positive effect on the bowel. Only one potty stop on this one.
Two weeks of Taper madness started as per usual, everyone at home has some flu/bug and I am getting the usual craps/tightness/niggles everywhere. Wont have it any other way. Frankfurt –12 Days

No comments:

Post a Comment