Friday, August 28, 2015

It just got harder

What a difference a week makes. Before the 10K I was getting through trough sessions and hard workouts. However after completing the 10K last Friday night I felt really fresh so I decided that a 2 hour long run with alternate miles between Marathon Pace and Recovery/Steady pace could be done. Had planned on doing 6 such repeats with 3 miles as per normal combined warm up and cool down. Having done this type of session (post race) before, I again did it on a 3 mile loop so I could bail. After the 4th repeat I could not hold 8 minute pace any longer. With that in mind I pulled the plug and did 2 miles cool down to get home. No point in beating the body up.

Following Wednesday was a 4 * 3K 6:50 pace (HMP) with 1K @ steady 8:00 pace. Done this in the fair green track as normally would mean running the section on the road. Last weeks session just was too hard with traffic. Got to the last repeat but just could not hold the pace from the get go. To be honest the steady Km prior was probably harder then it should have been. Another incomplete session starting to get worried

Next Sunday called for 16-17 miles with 12 at 7:20 pace. Unfortunately I didn't get this done in the morning so with dinner been in My sister in laws house in Lissycasey the route was far from flat and conducive to trying to run at a certain pace.  so I wore the HRM and tried to run by effort rather then pace. Gut feeling is that is not the objective of this type of training. Anyway after 8 tough miles in hills I didn't have the will to continue with another 4 miles and just ran them at an easy pace.

So three half baked session got followed by waking up on Tuesday with my right knee badly swollen and unable to flex it. One bright note was no pain. Took the day off and canned next days session. Rang Leon and set up an appointment for next Monday. By Thursday had totally cleared up so easy runs on Thursday and Friday left me still felling confident of 1:30 in Tullamore on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment