Saturday, August 15, 2015

Blowing off Steam

Under the circumstances training was all over the place but still getting down to some degree, all prescribed sessions getting done. Recovery times tough where starting to drop off the required pace. Having read various accounts of this type of training it is more critical to keep an eye on the pace of the recovery as once you cannot hold it you only really are flogging a dead horse. Thus far it had not happened but each session was adding extra accumulated fatigue that I was beginning to question if I need to add extra recovery days/runs into the program.

I had my first race of this part on Friday 11th. Had planned a 10 Miler in Monaghan but was in no mood to drive that far for a tune up type race. Found a local 10K in Shannon so did that instead. I rarely use a GPS watch when racing which allows me to concentrate more on my pace/form. so when I checked the split at the first K of 3:55 I reigned in the pace. Second Km came at 7:50 still too quick, eased off again, passed the 3K with 15:45 on the watch, this felt doable, sub 40 on the cards then I hear some triathletes Garmin beep 16:30, feck course is short. This puts me slower then what I should be so I up the effort again. Up ahead was John Clune from Ennis Track so I concentrate on keeping the gap to him. For the most part I was gradually closing it. All markers had me sub 40, passing the 9K in just under 36 minutes. At this point I am resigned to a short course and John is starting to open up the gap again. I go as hard as I can for the last Km funny enough the course is the right length because I cross the line in 41:11. Spoke with a few afterwards who confirmed that the course was over the 10K on watches but all the markers came up short.

Don't know if easing back in the first 3K made a difference to my race time, but its in line with where I wanted to be. Sub 41 would have been the icing on the cake but a 30 sec PB from spring is good result

No comments:

Post a Comment