Wednesday, September 5, 2012

There is no wall

Post Race

Off to Dingle on Friday to pace the Dingle Half Marathon for the 2 hour slot. After receiving various emails from the Bosses new PA we found out that our accommodation would be in Dingle fairly close to the start line. This however meant an extra half an hours drive for me which meant It would be a very quick shower before returning to Annascual for pre arranged pizzas and pastas. Meet the rest of the crew, grub and banter was good. A couple of quick pints later and it was off to bed for the night.

Race Day


Surprisingly I got a great nights sleep, normally I don't before these races, it might have been the grub, quick pints or the comfy bed but my one lingering doubt is that I fear my room mate may have slipped me some Rohypnol, the conversation the next morning involved my ability to use a certain item of cutlery. Up and dressed, breakfast supplied by our chef was porridge, we also had some very nice homemade brown bread but I steered clear of this for fear of getting struck by a bowel movement somewhere before the finish. We get the race brief from the Boss. Photo shoot and a quick run down to the start to warmup

99 Red Balloons

Yes the pacer's nightmare the dreaded balloons. It's late when we get them and they are all knotted together, takes 5 minutes to untangle. Proceed to attach balloons with pin, now my record is dismissal as regards getting these bloody things across the finish Line. I'm one from four so aim is to get this one home. Starter gun @ 9 and 2 minutes later we are passing under the start line while I try to get my two watches to start on time I feel a thug on my shoulder, damn balloon has snagged on the start and is fluttering away behind no longer attached. I also notice another balloon floating up in the air as well so at least I am not alone. Anyway I am paired with Keith and the plan is to keep up with the 4 hour pacers for the first 6 miles or so, this will give us a bit of time which we will us on the drag from 7 to 9. We did not have a big group to start with but a lot of people seemed to join us after mile 2. The miles ticked along nicely and support was very good along the route considering it's a country race, Local's are out in good numbers. When we got to the first of the drags the wind which was in our face was quite strong. Advised people to tuck in behind us, this section was tough so no doubt anyone who was with us was suffering a bit. I dropped off Keith by about 20 seconds to try and keep people who where dropping off the back to start again. We held the most of the group together and our time was spot on at mile 10. We picked it up again a small bit on the downhill sections as there is a small but killer of a drag at 11. Around this time an ambulance could be heard approaching in the distance, most runners heard except one headphone wearing Muppet who was still on the same side as the approach Ambulance. I managed to alert him of it but he didn't seem too impressed with me giving him a dig to get his attention. Can't understand why people wear headphones in races, they completely miss the whole atmosphere as well as putting themselves in harms way. Meet Ken Beggs who ran a mile with us at this stage and we arrange some after race pints in the Marina Bar. Again I dropped back 20-30 seconds behind Keith to try and encourage as many as possible to stay with the climb and not walk. There was a bigger attrition on this hill but one girl stuck with it only to stop up at the top. As we approached mile 12 we had a few with us which where sent on there way as we where not sure if they had started ahead of us or not. Kept pace to the finish, we picked up Oliver Claire at this point who was doing the Full and had a quick chat about his exploits in Connemara recently. Plenty of people had got second wind coming down the hill towards the finish and passed us out. When we got there we where bang on 1:59:49 so no time for hanging about but straight over the line, the lady who stopped at the top @ mile 11 crossed about 30 seconds after us but I hope she started behind us and got her time. Several thank you's afterwards from runners so we must have been some help to them. Pick up my bag quick stretch meet with other pacers to catch the bus back to Dingle. Must add big fail on my part, sent a bag out to the finish, (beside a pub) without leaving the price of a pint in my pocket.

Ultra Race

While waiting for the bus Keith Whyte came through as graceful and easy as usual. He looked like someone just starting a race and the fact he was after running the guts of 30 odd miles into the wind and up the Conor pass did not show. In the time it took us to get bussed back to Dingle, short walk back to our accommodation, shower and stroll to the finish he passed us again (still looking fresh) to finish with a sub 6 (5:59:25). This was a brilliant performance and I was thrilled for him considering the disappointments he had last year. It's great to see a really nice guy get the just rewards for his efforts. Normally no one remembers second but Ray Lanigan's 2nd was just as equal a run and I am sure his day will come.

Post Race

The post race barbecue was a nice touch as it allows everyone to meet up afterwards and keeps people around to give much needed support as they cross the line after Full/Ultra. We cheered on the remaining pacers as well as a few old friends at the finish. After getting some grub it was of to the Pub for a Pint of the black stuff which was arranged around mile 10 with Ken.
As I was playing for a wedding that night, I had to leave early that evening, boss needed a lift back and I was glad of the company for the journey home. Would love to have stayed on, as no doubt the crack and atmosphere around the town afterwards would have been brilliant. It's a definite race for me sometime in the future, if I get back to doing the marathon distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment