Thursday, March 31, 2016

March Madness

Where has this month gone literally flew. Meant to post after Tralee which only felt like yesterday. Safely completed Marathon 4 & 5 for the year in UL and Tralee. Both felt hard and I really struggled towards the end of Tralee. I was on pacing duties that day and had no wiggle room to stop and walk, I could have as both myself and the inllustrious John Brady had no one with us from Fenit to Tralee where we picked up a few on the last few miles. I am now up to 44 so only 6 more between now and August. The plan is to do my 50th in Portumna and make my offical long awaiterd Ultra debut by running the 50K. I will race it so May and April will be busy as I hope to have 49 done a few weeks beforehand so I can give myself a chance to freshen up. Sub 4 would be a dream time but I dont think I am in that shape or close to it.

Rest Recovery and Fast Stuff

Taking a break after Tralee I dropped the mileage down to 4-5 miles easy running for about ten days. Felt very good and have decided to Race the Kilnaboy 10 Miler. Sub 70 or a PB would be great but then its Kilnaboy and windy conditions on the day will reek havoc on a good time. Cobbled together a 20 day plan with some 10/HMP and 5K paced work in it. Body felt strange at first getting back to faster work, mainly because I have done no such thing since last Summer and failed to keep strides in the routine on my easy runs over the winter. First workout so I wore the HRM just to evaluate where I was at. 4 * 2 Mile at 10K pace/Effort, however the day was windy so mile out with the wind and back into was the torture. While not happy with the pace (7:15) was very happy that the last two I pushed the pace to 14:10. HR suggest I am close enough to the shape I was in when I ran a PB in Craughwell 10 (69:33) last year. I went out too quick that day and probably cost myself 60-90 seconds that day. Ran 6*1K off 2 minute recovery last night, first time I have ever got these all under 4 Minutes. First 4 went to plan rep 5 was proably the best timed rep I have every done, on the last one I was 3 seconds down @ 800M (3:15) and pushed the last 200 to sneak under the 4. Thought I was going to die, didnt. HR showed my highest reading every so very happy that I was stupid enough to want it and go for it. Kinda mentality I will need for the the last 2 miles Up to Kilnaboy in two weeks time

No comments:

Post a Comment