Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Its madness but its my madness

After making the correct decision to run easy in the build up to Boston, how was I going to curtail the urge to run faster. I had come across this article on Heat Adaptation before and figured I would give a go to see a) would it be of benefit and b) definitely would prevent me from running too hard during the taper.
As explained in the article, first layer base layer, second layer non breathable waterproof. This keeps the sweat from been wicked away from the skin. Third layer warm layer and another fourth layer water/wind proof to keep the heat from escaping. These layers are applied to head and legs as well. There is a warning in the article so I wore a heart rate monitor and never let the heart rate go above 80% (160 bpm).
Of course the first time I deck out with my four layers last week we had temperatures of 16/18 degrees. Herself indoors thinks I should be locked up. During the winter I hit out for a run in Shorts and a tee shirt and just as the summer hits I don 4 layers.God knows what all those who encountered me in the evenings on the Drumcliffe Road thought.

That was harder then I thought

I was going to run @ easy pace until HR hit 80% stop and walk/run back. First night the run only got to 1.25 miles before having to stop and walk to bring the heart rate down. Never felt so drained in all my life on the return journey. Got home base layer soaked and steam rising off me and drained. Continued on over the last seven days and yesterdays evening run I managed to do the whole 5 Mile run (2.5 miles out and back) with the HR hovering close to 80% but not getting to it. Still felt drained towards the end but I could handle it better. What I did notice last night was that while there was more sweat on the base layer the was very little salt staining in comparison to the first night. At least this proves that the adaptation has had an effect in reduce the amount of electrolyte I was losing under the conditions. Fortunately the forecast in Boston means I wont experience high temperatures but as they say what doesn't kill will only make you better.

The last session

This is the one that will determine what time I go for on Monday. 2 Miles warm-up, cover the watch and run what feels like Marathon effort(HR was worn to verify its not too hard/easy) for 3 miles. In my last few marathons this has always been a pretty good indicator of where I am at. Conditions for the run this morning are pretty similar to what is expected in Boston on Monday. Perfect conditions if they hold up. Set off felt really fresh 3 miles in 22:19 (7:27) pace. Felt very comfortable overall so much so that the HR reflected this @ 149 average. A little below what I would expect so the target for Monday is definitely sub 3:15 by how much we will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment