Sunday, February 16, 2014

Are we there yet ?

The Final weeks

When I saw this in the program I said to myself that's not right, 2 hard session one after another. A tune-up race followed by 16 Mile long easy run. Not once but twice in the final block of training. As outlined previously I ran the 10 mile pretty much as fast as I could on the day. Next evening I tackled the 16 Mile run. I decided on 4 * 4 Mile loops so I could bail out if things where going south. A reward of a Twix in my pocket if I started the last 4 Mile Loop. I ate the Twix on lap 4 but more importantly while the legs where really sore on the first loop they got better as the run went on.
The following Sunday was the last 20 Mile run which I ran with club mate Paul. Paul generally would be a bit faster then me but has been out of form recently so both our paces would be similar. This also was his first 20 miler in a while. After a bad few miles at the start with my stomach (much too big a breakfast too close to running) things got easy and I was really surprised at how good my legs felt. Even on miles 18/19 I was able to lift the pace quite easily and Paul had to reign me in a few times. Things where looking good, I had ran 66 miles in that week including a hard race and 2 long runs yet my legs felt as if I had no running done that week.

Small things add up

Rinse and repeat of the race followed by long run but different outcome. Ran the race on 5 Mile race on Saturday. Even during the warm-up my breathing felt quite hard. I had no HR with me as rarely race with it. Race was a disaster just a little faster then Dungarvan and I was hyperventilating, legs where okay just couldn't get enough O2 to them from the lungs. Finished 34:45 disappointed as it was only 15 seconds faster then last weeks 5 mile split in Dungarvan. Put it aside., following morning put on the HR Resting was up by 20. Didn't feel sick or anything so out I went. Run was aerobically hard, legs okay but HR climbing. Decided to bail after 2 loops so only completed 8 miles. Obviously there was something a miss somewhere. Typical for me get to the taper and something goes wrong. Next morning I am left in bed nursing a dose of the man flu. Two days rest and recovery and it clears quickly but as per usual I am left with a lot of mucus/phloem in my lungs after it. Went to Doc the next day who has prescribed an inhaler and suspects I may have a touch of Asthma as this occurs every time I get a cold/flu. Attempted to run 3 * 1600 @ 5K pace got 2 done @ 6:45 (has been 6:35 pace previously) and just mentally through in the towel as lungs where not able to operate at VO2Max. Felt better today and did my final 12 mile run, really good and was sad to stop @ 12 as I could have gone on all morning, no wind no rain. Sunny clear skies and legs bouncing under me having a run like this the week before the race is a real confidence boaster.

Target Time

This is one that is going to consume my thoughts right up till the day. At the moment I am in 2 boats. I could realistically have a crack at a sub 3:20, I would probably need everything lining up on the day to go for it. Before this recent bout of man flu it was my definite target but at the moment its under consideration. If I go for it and blow up I place getting my Boston Qualifier at risk as well as I need sub 3:25 for that. On Wednesday I have a Pre Race Rehearsal with 3 Miles at MP. I will cover the watch again and judge what should be my race day pace. I will make mind up after that run whether I start @ 3:20 or 3:25 pace on the day

No comments:

Post a Comment