Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Tik Tok part Deux

Preamble

Some information that is needed to give the reader some perspective on this run. My last Tik Tok experiment was done before Christmas in relatively ideal running conditions, for the second part Saturday afternoon was one with blustery showers. Since then I have lost 7lbs weight and I am pretty close to my race weight, well family keep remarking on it anyway. I have attempted three of these type runs over the last two years 4-5 weeks out from a goal marathon long PMP run, all have ended in disaster or non completion at target pace. This left me a bit apprehensive going into the session. 18 miles with 14 @ PMP. Well I wouldn't be worrying about the time as plan is not to look at the watch, cover it up and take a split every 3 miles and the last two miles, over the same 5 mile loop as the last time.

The session

Two mile warm up involved a few stops to try and sort out the footwear, eventually readjusted the socks as a seam was niggling the foot. Started off and tried to settle into what felt like a sustainable pace. Immediately got a shower with the wind picking but luckily it was a tailwind. Flying along but once I hit a few small hills I quickly realised that the pace was a bit too hot. It was maybe 2 miles before I thought I got it under control. Mile 3-6 and 6-9 conditions were good and I was motoring along hard but definitely a sustainable pace. Miles 9-12 started with the part that has a mile of hills and another blustery shower only this time the wind was in my face. Trying to sustain the pace now had become an effort so I had to dial it back a bit. In the final 2 miles I was able to pick up the pace a bit again once conditions got a bit better but things were starting to get a bit tougher. For the first time ever I got through this type of session, the legs where a bit tired towards the end of the run which is to be expected as I am at the peak of my training. It won't be like this on race day as I will have the taper to freshen up the legs before hand. Times below reflect the conditions on the day, I was very happy with the run but even happier when I got back to the car to review the splits. I was expecting an improvement but got a nice surprise when I say the splits

MilesTimeAverage HRPace
1-30:22:12.415407:24.1
3-60:22:41.415907:33.8
6-90:22:38.915907:33.0
9-120:23:07.316007:42.4
12-140:15:10.016107:35.0

Dilemma

The next part of the plan includes a tune-up race. Sunday in Dungarvan has been on the cards for a long time. Ever since the pacer diner in Dublin when I mentioned it at the table John Desmond inquired what time would I like to get. I said I would love to be in sub 70 shape. Now if you asked me before Saturdays run I would have said 71-72 minutes was more realistic but since Saturday a shot of sub 70 is on the cards. Its not my goal race but I will go out with the 70 minute pace group and see how things pan out.

No comments:

Post a Comment