Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Bright Side of the Road

Always take the weather with you

Sixmilebridge delivered again. If running 10 Marathons in Ten days was going to be hard enough, the weather as usual made it a true test of stamina. Not since the summer of 95 when Clare finally kicked Biddy Earlys curse to touch have we seen temperatures in the high 20's and low 30's. As I have said before I don't think GOD likes us marathon runners too much or maybe he had an alternate motive for inflicting such conditions on the 23 or so lunatics about to attempt this challenge. Short story 23 legends were born over that week, they inspired a community and showed that faced with the adversity what the human spirit and body can endure. Eighteen of those got home on the final day but the five that fell had the hardest choice to make in pulling out. They had brought themselves as close to the cliff both mentally and physically before making the correct choice to let it go for another time. The motto on the back of the finishers t-shirt got this spot on. So many memories and emotions were experienced over the ten days, watching the joy on the their faces as we approached with Mr Freezes and Ice Lollies. Sharing their smiles each evening as they ran,jumped, walked or crawled under the finish gauntry to step closer to their ultimate goal. 
Some of the finishers

They say you get out what you put in, well I can honestly say I came away with much more then I gave.
As special mention must go to Tom and Richie, the success or failure of this event lay at their door. If it failed they would carry the can, well it didn't and was there ever any doubt in that. That been the case they fully deserve the credit for its success.




Dark Side of the moon

I could not pass up the opportunity to run at least one marathon last week. I had originally pencilled in Thursday but had to switch to Wednesday instead due to my own incompetence in looking at my calendar.  I know the course pretty well and had ran it on Saturday in the low 20's for a very uncomfortable and hard Two hour half marathon. How I was going to fare in the high 20's was another matter. Wednesday or Day Seven was the warmest so far but not as humid as other days well thats what I was telling myself. We gathered at the start with everyone trying to get under the small bit of shade that was been offered by one small tree. A quick loop of the town and we are on our way. I went along at about four hour pace with Denzil leading us out and two other day trippers James and Ed in close attendance. James kicked on shortly after the mart and I lost Denzil and Ed at the first water station. Fumbling trying to get a zym tablet out of the tube only to realise they had all stuck together with the heat. Got some into the bottle and another bottle to cool myself down. I was surprised that I caught up with Ed so quickly before Kilmurry but he was struggling with an injury and pulled up shortly afterwards. Got to mile 6, had planned on taking on some of my homemade gel drink spent more time looking for it to realise that it must still be in one of the cars circling the course. No worries as I have another at 12 and sure I get it from whoever has it soon enough. Heat was intense but I was feeling okay and still going around four hour pace, I was down time wise due to the delays at the two water stops, but wasn't bothered really as this was not a day for a PB. Tom said todays PB is getting around in one piece which was pretty sound advice. Ran into Paddy at Mile 7 or 8 so I tagged along with him for a bit. Finally got to meet Jennifer dishing out the ice pops, and the like at mile Eight stayed and chatted with Paddy until mile 12 where he was feeling the pace( he was on number two of a back to back in these conditions). I tipped on while he took a breather. Brian or Dave as I called him flew passed me here, thought about tagging on but his pace was a little too hot. Meet Thomas on the way out and he commented I was looking good, and I felt good at this point. Passed half way 2:01:23 on the clock told Sandra I'll get water off her on the way back. Got my gel at the finish and headed out on the second loop. The climb back out of the town broke me. In less than a mile I went from comfortable running to absolutely no energy in my legs. The (eddies) hill sucked me up and spat me out. From here to Kilmurry was a real struggle, I had to stop several times and walk, I was absolutely drained from the heat. Water at the stations was warm and was not helping me. Meet with Siobhan who had a chilled bottle which help a bit but I was still struggling. I was expecting it to cool down in the evening as the sun went down but this was not the case. Just after Kilmurry cross I came down a hill and in front of me was an angel. Bowl of ice cold water and a sponge. I drowned myself, relief,I was so happy I could have kissed her, I think I did too. From here on I was back, picked back up the pace to four hour pace again. Pretty soon I caught up with Gino who was running his 100th today and then I saw in the distance John who took off earlier in the race. He was my next goal so I set about trying to reel him in. It took the mind of the heat and gave me something to focus on. Finally caught and passed him at mile 22. Got halfway up the Bitch as Thomas calls it when again the legs gave out and had no energy. Walked about half a mile to the next station refuelled and once I got over the climb felt good again. I passed the mart(25) just on Four hours and set 4:10 as a goal. Ran from here to the finish but thought I was going to be outside the time. Mike (of Clare FM fame) came along side on the bike and pushed me out to the finish 4:09:50 and it was over. Tom then of course asked probably the most obvious question of the week. "Do you want a can Ger ?". To which I reply as I fell to the ground "Can a duck swim!". Okay there may have been a four letter word in there somewhere. As I skulled my can in the cold tub I was satisfied that today I completed my eighth Marathon in brutal conditions, and it had taken me nearly 47 years to accomplish. I pondered, tomorrow night 18 of these guys/gals would equal that in the same amount of days. This really brought home to me the enormity of this challenge, and what is required to complete it. 


June 29th  
          16 Miles Long 2:28:24 @ 9:14 HR 144

July 2nd         
          10 Miles Tempo 7 miles 54:37 @ 7:49 HR 163 with 1.5 Mile WUWD

July 6th
           13.1 Miles Easy 1:58:14 @ 9:02 NO HR  

July 10th
       
    26.2 Miles Long 4:09:50 @  9:33 pace, NO HR

1 comment:

  1. Great stuff Ger. Conditions during the 10in10 were unreal, but thanks a million for all your help!

    ReplyDelete